Monday, March 5, 2012

Pinterest Party

I often refer to my friend Anne as our "social chair" - and this is fitting considering she is technically the social chair of the one and only organized club I belong to here in Winston, the Resident Spouse Association.  Whether it’s RSA functions, tailgates or dinner parties, Anne is always my one friend who is constantly scheming up new get together ideas.  The best part is she's very creative in her ideas for get together - which I love about her. 
 
Okay, enough ego boosting for Anne. The point of that intro was to say who else would come up with an idea like she did this weekend - a Pinterest party!  It was a simple concept - bring the makings of a craft or food item you've pinned on Pinterest but haven't made yet… and make it.  Such a great idea!  I have 65 items on my crafty board and it is by pure self restraint that I don't have 6,500... yet I rarely make time to do them.  What a better way than for me to put it on my schedule AND know that I was going to be in the company of good friends making their crafts too.
 
(Even better was some people had food pins to test out on us…happy guinea pigs, indeed.)

IMG_0824

It was very fun and we all made good progress, if not finished, a craft or recipe.  Katie and Anne did needlepoint, Tommie and Anya worked on crocheting hats, Akanksha made a mason jar soap dispenser, Sarah painted the cutest little "P" using a pencil eraser, Jamie made a jewelry tray and I tackled DIY mercury glass. 

IMG_0835

IMG_0832

IMG_0839
 
My mercury glass project was easier than I expected it to be, but it was just one of those things I had been putting off getting started on.  I bought all these little vases at Goodwill for 25 cents a piece and found the spray paint at Wal-mart for $9.  I read a bunch of tutorials on how to do it and they all seemed to say about the same thing – spray, dry, repeat 5 times, spritz with vinegar, wipe down.  (For more specifics, this is a good example of one of the tutorials I read.)

IMG_0825IMG_0826

IMG_0827IMG_0831

While my glasses were drying, I even tackled a 10 minute t-shirt scarf project.  Bonus craft!

IMG_0836IMG_0838

We had a little mascot overseeing all our crafts…

IMG_0842

I loved Akanksha’s mason jar soap dispenser… that might be next on my to do list.

IMG_0845
 
I was really happy with how both of my crafts came out.  The mercury glass especially came out lovely – I love seeing them twinkle on my mantle now!

IMG_0853

IMG_0856

And I’ve already worn my t-shirt scarf/necklace out once…

IMG_4537

Obviously I loved, loved, loved this idea for a party.  We all definitely agreed that we need to do it on a regular basis - and we're going to leave it up to Anne to schedule it.

1 comment:

A Glenn said...

Yay, you like the Pinterest Party! I love those mercury glasses, it's one of the only "crafts" I actually have pinned! Someday I'll try it....next Pinterest party?

On another note, I'm glad I'm not obnoxious with my social planing. I *love* to plan and host parties, so it's nice to know yall don't think I take over or overdue it! Don't worry, I have some more ideas for soon....