Monday, July 12, 2010

Lazy Sunday

Yesterday was deliciously lazy.

I laid in bed til almost eleven. ELEVEN! I kept dreaming of water boiled bagels from Brighton, and french toast from Midtown Dessertery and even, I think, a Bojangles biscuit.

I don’t even really like Bojangles biscuit but that tells you how delusional slash sleepy I was.

When I did finally get up, I had Dad’s homemade banana bread instead. I won’t say how many slices I had, but I will confess my luggage had two more loaves in it.

It’s hard to want to be in two places at once.

I had Pontillo’s for lunch one last time and continued working on cleaning out my room. I can only do a little bit at a time, because it’s hard for me to get rid of childhood stuff.

7 29 10 284

Like slap bracelets.

7 29 10 275

And best friend necklaces.

7 29 10 287

And my parents’ pass to get into basketball games.

Those are memories, ya know?

Then I packed, and we left for the airport. Weekends at home go too quickly. My travel back was uneventful, but I’m thinking that I’m going to stick with driving more these days. It bugs me that ever since airlines made us pay for checked bagged, everyone is bringing ginormous bags as carry-on. Now you can even pay more to get on early to make sure you get overhead space, which at first I thought was totally stupid, but now I see is kind of necessary. And it’s becoming a vicious cycle of paying for more things and it annoys me.

I’d rather pay for gas, diet mt. dews, combos and roll up I-95 with the windows down, singing to myself at the top of my lungs.

(My biggest fear in life is that I’ll purse-dial someone while I’m singing “Don’t Stop Believing” at the top of my lungs and instead of hanging up when they realize it’s a purse dial, they’ll listen to the whole thing because my singing is so atrocious.)

(For real. Whenever I’m singing in the car, I check my phone compulsively to make sure it didn’t dial anyone.)

Travel makes me punchy. I got to Charlotte around 10:30, and drove up to Winston. Then, because I had started a really good book on the plane and was almost done, I stayed up til almost 3 am finishing in the book. File under “bad decisions.”

But, I did come home to a clean house. Swiffered floors, laundry put away, dishes done. That is the best surprise I could have ever asked for.

I don’t have any work to do until later today, so I’m having a slow morning. A few more slices of banana bread, and I might get going.

Might. It is Monday, after all.

2 comments:

Lindsay Collins said...

What was the really good book you read?

Meg said...

It was called Magic Hour by Kristen Hannah. It wasn't the greatest book for any profound literary reason, just a really good story!