Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Baileywick Black Bean Salsa

I haven't posted a recipe in a long time but this one was too easy and delicious to pass up.  It actually came from a cookbook that my friend Jenny gave me that was put together by parents in the school she teaches in.  (The school is called Baileywick, which is why I call it Baileywick Black Bean Salsa.  I like the alliteration.) 

IMG_0968

It is easy- there's some chopping involved, but it took me about 15 minutes to put together.

It's delicious. 

It's healthy.

What's not to love?  Make it and serve it with some scoops as a dip, or else use it to accompany tacos as a side dish or topping.   It probably goes great with margaritas or a Corona.  I'll find out in a few months.  So enjoy and thank Jenny when you're done for passing this cookbook along to me with this little gem in it.  Oh and while I'm bragging on her, let me just mention she was teacher of the year this year at her school.  Because it's my blog and I can brag if I want to. 

IMG_4700

Now chop, chill and eat!

Ingredients

  • 1 can black beans, rinsed + drained
  • 1 can white shoepeg corn, drained
  • 1 chopped red pepper
  • 1 chopped red onion
  • fresh cilantro to taste
  • jalapeno, chopped (added to taste)
  • juice of 1 lg lime
  • 2 T minced garlic
  • 1/2 T Adobo brand seasoning*
  • 4 T olive oil

Mix all and chill for 1-2 hours (up to overnight.)

IMG_0967

*I actually didn’t use the Adobo brand seasoning.  I just used salt and pepper.  But I was shopping in Wally world the other day and was in the international aisle and passed right by it – so it does exist and is easy to find!

IMG_4850

And, as a side note…this is the secret best place to buy spices instead of buying them from the baking aisle. 

IMG_4851

They don’t have every spice but they have a lot of the common ones – paprika, garlic, onion, parsley, cumin, chili pepper – and they less than a dollar for each bag.  You get a smaller amount, but that’s okay – does anyone ever use the spices in those jars before they go stale anyways??

So, that’s my hidden tip for today.  You’re welcome.  Now, go eat.

1 comment:

Mandi @ Southern Gnome said...

I just pinned this. I can't wait to try it. And thanks for the pic of the Adobo. Had I gone looking for it, I am quite sure I would have wasted a ton of time searching on my on.