Monday, February 20, 2012

The One in Which I Make Homemade Laundry Detergent

Pinterest: the place where I am most likely to get inspired, in over my head, buy too much at Hobby Lobby or Whole Foods and make a big mess.

But this time I was actually successful with a pin!  I keep seeing pins for homemade laundry detergent and I don't know why, but the idea just intrigued me.  I told Matt it was because I wanted to find a way to save money since the cost of laundry detergent makes me think it must be made out of powdered unicorn horns, and he said "Let's be honest - you just want another craft to do."
 
True.
 
I reviewed a bunch of the different recipes and saw a general overlap of two options: one that involved boiling stuff and the other that involved mixing dry stuff.  I went with the latter.
 
Here's the recipe I followed.

IMG_0807
 
I'm happy to report it was easy, successful and very satisfying. I made a huge tub from one Fels-Naptha soap bar that cost 99 cents that should last 40 loads.  The arm and hammer soap and Borax each cost $4 and have enough for many, many loads to come.  (If any of my local friends want to try this, I'll give you a cup of the Borax and A&H soap.  I feel like I'm going to have these boxes around for awhile.)  So far, everything I've washed has come out clean to my satisfaction.  I was a little nervous, because in the past I've used some eco-friendly (Seventh Generation, Method) detergents and they didn't get out cooking oil which is my #1 stain.  I'm a messy cook.  So far, this has not let me down.  I do still have one box of Tide that I'm keeping on hand, and I figure if I have any heavy soiled items or a stain that won't come out with this, I'll use that for back up. 

IMG_0806

4 comments:

chrisandabbie said...

I used this same recipe from Pinterest about a month ago!! It has worked great so far! It doesn't really have a fragrance after it's been dried so I still use a dryer sheet to make the clothes smell a little "fresh". But, so far I've LOVED using it!!

A Glenn said...

So, you really inspire me to WANT to be crafty :) Now can you come over and make me actually DO a craft? I love the idea of making your own things, something that feels so right about being self-sufficient. I know you mixed ingredients that you had to buy, but still, it's just such a nice thought. And I love how pretty the jar looks compared to the big bottle from the store. Perhaps I'll try this at the pinterest party...

Dog Hair in my Coffee said...

I have used homemade laundry soap for years, and it is cheap and practical and pretty good.I use the one that you do boil a little and keep it in a 5 gallon pail, and with adding water, it actually makes ten gallons. I originally used Ivory soap, and the Fels Naptha, that I used last time, DEF makes things cleaner than the Ivory. I also have lately started adding some of those Downy litte dot things to my laundry to make it smell cleaner, bc I DO miss the SMELL of store bought Tide and Downy. I have tried using fragrance oils to add scent, but you have to use a ton, and they cost a lot.
I love making things, instead of buying them. Makes you feel SO much better about life!!! :)

Teri [a foodie stays fit] said...

I've been dying to try making my own laundry soap. But I"m lazy. You inspire me.