Saturday, January 9, 2010

2009: Year in Review

I filled this out last year for the first time, after seeing it on a blog I read regularly. It was a great way to review the past year, so without further ado, I present… 2009 in review.


1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
Bought a house. Raised a dog. Cooked a holiday meal. Hired an intern. Remove the giblets from a whole chicken.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn’t make any at New Year’s… I like to make them year-round. Keeps me on my toes.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My childhood best friend had her first in June, a sweet little girl named Reese.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
A former participant of mine passed away in the fall – it happened out of the blue and was very sad.

5. What countries did you visit?
The lovely Dominican Republic. And of course, the Redneck Riviera. (Aka Myrtle Beach.)

6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
A more specific marketing plan for my business.

7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

March 19th – Match Day

May 18th – Matt’s Med School Graduation

April 29th – Closing day on our house

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Deciding and committing to starting the book that’s been floating around my head for 2 years.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Trying to make black bean soup from scratch.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
A lovely colitis flare in September.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
A HOUSE! How bout that?

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My awesome, hard-working husband – he made me a bed this year! And a table! My friends who supported me and took care of me during my colitis flare. My intern.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
It seems like anyone who had a TV show on TLC kind of dropped the ball on integrity this year. (Not you, Stacy and Clinton, you’re still good in my book.)

14. Where did most of your money go?
Harris Teeter, student loans, Home Depot, Village Tavern and heyyy now, who’s got a mortgage like a big girl? Sigh. Me.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Wino Wedding and Wino Engagement, my photography class, getting a new camera lens + food processor (I think I knocked Matt over with excitement), matching here in Winston, my “personal development” project with Heather, going to a nutrition conference in March and the changes my business has gone through this year: more clients, an intern, and an e-newsletter. Yea, I’d say I’m easily excited.

16. What song will always remind you of 2009? I’m having a hard time picking one – I’d have to say Ingrid Michaelson – Maybe (since I really got hooked on her this year), Kings of Leon – Revelry (because this is what played the most in our house) and Black Eyed Peas – I Got A Feeling… just cos, why not.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:a) happier or sadder?b) thinner or fatter?c) richer or poorer?
Happier. Equally thin. Slightly richer, what with the husband joining the workforce.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Gone out. Traveled. Wrote. Prayed. Listened. (I wrote this answer last year, and turns out I’m keeping it.)

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Complained. Judged. Gossiped. Whined. (Dit-to.)

20. How did you spend Christmas?
In Lincolnton with my in-laws, then flew up to Rochester to be with my family.


21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
With a furry 26 pound bundle of anxiety. I love my little noodle dog.

22. What was your favorite TV program?
Biggest Loser

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No.

24. What was the best book you read?
The Secret and Animal Vegetable Miracle

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Ingrid Michaelson, The Hush Sound, Glee, Glee and mooooore Glee.

26. What did you want and get?
A new camera lens and a food processor. A greater sense of peace and contentment. A really big cozy bed.

27. What did you want and not get?
To complete another half marathon. Thank you, colitis.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Precious, most definitely.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
27 – I shared my hubby’s graduation party, which meant we had lots of friends and family in town.


30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Cheaper air fare and more Starbucks gift cards.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Professional Comfy, heavily influenced by Ann Taylor Loft.

32. What kept you sane?
Going to bed early, my husband, prayers, a gratitude journal, good health insurance, cheap wine and friendship.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
It’s still Bob Harper and Oprah, but I’d probably toss Michael Pollan in there for good measure now.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Judge me if you must, but I’ve stopped paying attention to Washington.

35. Who did you miss?
My parents, my sis, and far-flung friends.

36. Who was the best new person you met?
Wives of new interns moving to Winston – I am so excited and blessed by their new friendships.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
You are what you think.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

It’s time to trust my instincts / close my eyes and leap - Defying Gravity from Wicked, The Musical

Good-bye, 2009. You were a lovely, lovely year. I think I can partially credit this to starting a gratitude journal this year (and Thankful Thursday) but this year I have just felt so attuned all the wonderful blessings in my life. Even in the midst of some challenges (I’m talking to YOU, Buddy….), life just felt wonderful and full. I welcome 2010 with even greater expectations and wonder what will transpire by the time I sit down to do this next year.

2009 Christmas 253

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

cute family photo! :)

Diana
The Chic Life