Saturday, October 25, 2008

Mother Hubbard

I love using things up. I don't know why - I think it makes me feel like I've gotten my money's worth of an item when I use it up to the very very last drop. That being said, one of my favorite games in grad school (partially due to neccesity) was to see how long I could make it between grocery trips. This meant getting extremely creative on meal planning. With Matt out of town this month, I have been really pushing it on how long I have gone without grocery shopping. I have made a couple quick trips for milk, lettuce, carrots and apples (needs) but other than that I have been trying to use up whatever I have on hand. I am seriously Mother Hubbard-ing it over here. This is what I have left:


  • one salmon fillet
  • one chicken breast
  • one morningstar chicken patty
  • one buffalo chicken sausage
  • 1/2 bag frozen spinach
  • 1/2 bag frozen edamame
  • 1/2 box rotini
  • a little bit of pesto sauce
  • 3 english muffins
  • 1/4 carton of almond milk
  • 1/2 carton of Kefir
  • 3 wedges of laughing cow
  • oatmeal
  • 1/2 box of wild rice
  • 1 can black beans
  • dunkin donuts coffee

I know I can make it til Thursday, when I'll have to go grocery shopping before Matt gets home. In the meantime, it's going to take some creativity. I've got some ideas....

Meal #1: salmon, spinach, wild rice

Meal #2: penne + pesto w/ chicken

Meal #3: more penne + a little olive oil + edamame

Meal #4: black beans + buffalo chicken sausage + rice

3 breakfasts: english muffins + laughing cow, coffee w/ almond milk; kefir later on

And when in doubt, there's always oatmeal.

No comments: