I love my Happiness Project calendar – the stack of pages I tear off to respond to later is growing ever larger, but my absolute favorite pages from it are the “questions to ask yourself” pages. It’s a journal fanatic's dream come true. (I forgot to take a picture of the calendar page this time, but the questions are there anyways.)
What was the nicest compliment you've ever received?
I had a hard time answering this - not because people have never said nice things about me, but because “words of affirmation” are totally my love language so I've tucked away a lot of nice things in my heart and I feel kind of funny sharing them. One of the most meaningful compliments I’ve ever received was the toast Matt gave me at our rehearsal dinner. I carry a copy of it in my wallet and pull it out to reread from time to time and it never fails to uplift me.
What are your five favorite things about your neighborhood?
1. My House - can this count? I love my house. Since it's in my neighborhood, I'm counting it.
2. The walking path that runs through the middle of it and the sidewalks all around it.
3. My porch - okay I'm cheating a bit since this is part of my house. But I love sitting on my porch ... and I can't wait for us to finish the fence around our backyard for even more privacy! It feels like a retreat back there.
4. Our next door neighbor - we have a really nice next door neighbor. He and Matt get along great, and he was absolutely amazing when it came to helping Matt build the porch - invested a huge amount of time alongside Matt teaching him how to do it. He's also the type who will loan you his lawn mower or bring you an extra slice of pie he's made. His niceness makes up for the fact that his son has thrown water balloons at me on more than one occasion.
5. It feels safe. I've lived in Baltimore - I can appreciate feeling safe in a neighborhood.
What type of activities energize you?
Dance trance, strength training, writing, going on a long walk or run with a good friend, taking everything out of a cluttered space and reorganizing it, organizing a task or project with an Excel spreadsheet, making a to do list.
And now here is a gratuitous Buddy picture for your viewing enjoyment. Because a blog post without a picture is just a glorified version of my diary.