Sunday, December 4, 2011

Lovefeast 2.0

What can I say about Lovefeast that I haven't already said?

Apparently, nothing.  Literally when I sat down to write this post, I had some thoughts in my mind ... something about that moment when they hush the lights and each person holds a candle and passes their light from one to the next.  I was trying to organize these thoughts when I had a sneaking suspicion I'd heard them somewhere before.

IMG_0034

Oh that's right.  On my blog, in 2009.

It looks like I have officially run out of anything original to say.

But, it bears repeating again... at least this snippet.

There’s a moment in the service when the lights go dim and the ushers arrive at the end of each aisle with a lit candle. Person to person, candle to the candle, the chapel becomes full of a warm, hushed glow in a matter of minutes. It gives me goose bump.

My mind always goes back to my favorite quote at this moment, by Marianne Williamson.

As we touch our candles from right to left, I always think of the end of my favorite quote from Marianne Williamson - “as we let our light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.” I think about how our dark world would be so vividly light up if each one of us just shared a little bit more of their light with every they came into contact with.

Easy to remember in the warm glowing chapel as “Joy to the World” swirls around you. Difficult to remember in the day to day of life that involves work stress, cranky customer service reps, bad traffic, late fees, tense relationships and shouting heads on every major station.

Letting your light shine so that others might do the same – this is what Christ was born to do. Celebrating Christmas is a remembrance of the birth of the greatest life that walked among us, that made a point to gently touch touch his light to everyone he came in contact with.

“I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness.” - John 12:46

IMG_0033

All is calm, all is bright.

No comments: